Friday, February 11

I guess I should probably explain what power gaming is, or at least what I think it is and how I am going to be using it. Power gaming, in my eyes, is essentially to spend a lot of time playing games and in my current case, finishing them. Now if you don’t know, or aren’t from CheapAssGamer.com, there is something some gamers like to call a backlog. This is essentially a list of games that these gamers have either not played yet or not beaten yet. Well during the 2010 year I decided to rid myself of a lot of my backlog by power gaming. By this I mean that I ran through and finished a lot of games. Anyway, lets get into the details…

Last year is represented as starting from January 1st 20010 to December 31st 2010 and all of these games were completed in that time frame. Another thing is that all of these games but three were actually started during this 2010 period. I added these three games because I felt that I completed the majority of them during the duration of 2010.

So now onto the number of games completed, or stories finished, during 2010. In total there were 52 games completed, which means 49 games were started and finished in 2010 by myself. You may be wondering if I truly mean finished and I do. None of these games were halfway completed and then thrown away. But I would like to make clear that on average most of these games took 8 hours to complete. There were some oddities like Mass Effect 2, 20+ hours, and King’s Bounty, 40+ hours.

Here is the list of games completed in order…
-         Darwinia
-         Trine
-         Castle Crashers
-         Shadow Complex
-         Universe at War
-         Mass Effect 2
-         Little Big Planet (Started in 09)
-         Star Trek Legacy
-         Defense Grid: The Awakening
-         Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood

-         Torchlight (Started in 09)
-         Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Started in 09)
-         Star Wars: Dark Forces
-         Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
-         Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
-         Call of Duty: World at War
-         Uncharted
-         Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
-         Star Wars – Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
-         Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2
-         Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 – Rise of the Witch King
-         Freedom Force
-         Call of Duty 2
-         Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich
-         Lego Star Wars II
-         Psychonauts
-         Jade Empire
-         Company of Heroes
-         Portal
-         Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
-         Infamous
-         Jak & Daxter
-         Sniper Elite
-         Jak II
-         Dark Messiah: Might & Magic
-         DJ Hero
-         Unreal – Gold
-         Unreal 2: The Awakening
-         Overlord
-         Overlord 2
-         Gears of War
-         Jak 3
-         Red Faction: Guerrilla
-         Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
-         Starcraft 2
-         King’s Bounty: The Legend
-         X-Men Legends
-         X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
-         Halo Reach
-         King’s Bounty Armored Princess
-         Batman Arkham Asylum
-         Battlefield Bad Company 2

In case you were wondering I did write them down as I beat them so no, I didn’t have to remember all of that off the top of my head.

And just in case anyone that reads this is wondering the breakdown of systems the games were on goes like this.

PC – 34
XBLA – 2
Xbox 360 – 6
Xbox – 2
PS3 – 3
PS2 – 5

Now I do know that beating 52 games means I put a lot of time into playing video games, but there were some reasons. Firstly I am a college student that has no job. This means during summer and other breaks I have a lot of time on my hands.

Also this list is a double-sided blade. On one hand I am happy to have gotten through so much of my backlog but on the other hand I wish it were a lower number because I wish I had a job.

So lets move onto the question I ask and nobody ever answers. What games have you beaten this year? Were they from a backlog? And if you don’t feel like answering this then what about one last question… Do you think my accomplishment here is sad or praise worthy? I am leaning towards sad.